Aug 24, 2008

First two weeks of the new semester pasted smoothly. I'm very happy with my classes, and my professors. The fourth year classes seem to have some substance in the subject matter and are generally more exciting.

I'm just finishing tomorrow's advanced digi photo homework. The assignment was to create a self-portrait that represented us. I knew I wanted a photograph that showed I'm someone who's different; that I could fit-in, even in places I wasn't supposed to "belong".

The Western equivalent to being a "morcy" might be a pizza delivery boy or grocery store cashier. It's something people do because they don't want much (ironically) responsibility, or can't find work elsewhere. At least that's the stereotype... I've met some very interesting drivers over the years. But "morcy" drivers are almost never college grads, business owners, office workers, fair skinned, Bangkok-born, or very young (with some exceptions). I want to do a personal project on this stereotype soon..

I had a motorcycle taxi vest laying around, left over from a school event, that I had been wanting to feature in a photo. So I did. Thanks again to Mario and Shai for the much-needed assistance.

20080817_039


Talking with some friends the other day at the uni, we came up with an idea for their upcoming album cover. They asked for samples of a pretty girl with a blindfold, so Pat and I got to work two days later:

20080823_006

20080823_018


I hope to do a personal project soon. The subject will be social status in Thailand. A glass ceiling for people born with dark skin. More soon...

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Please show us some of the basic stuff about your life too - not necessarily artistic! Like pictures of your apartment, neighborhood, class buildings, etc.

But thanks for the post!

Love, G.B.

8/26/2008 11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i like those pictures with the girl. nice.

and... your picture on the motorcyc is cool. ahahhhaa. somehow it reminds me of an orange soda, maybe because of the food stand umbrella. but hey, it's still a good pic nonetheless.

take care.

9/02/2008 10:36 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home